Sometimes uploads can fail.
The most common causes of this are:
- if they have a weak internet connection.
- if the Zencastr tab is closed before the uploads complete.
- If they are in a place that has a network with tight security settings. Sometimes office space / universities / hotels / etc do this.
Luckily, Zencastr stores the files locally on each participant's computer until the end of the recording, when they are uploaded to our servers. This means that a participant can return to the recording page to resume finalizing their tracks.
You can retry the uploads by having the participant whose audio failed to upload return to the recording page using the recovery link. The recovery link is just the invite URL for the episode with /recover added to the end.
Regular episode invite link example:
Direct recording link example:
Recovery link example:
After following the recovery link, the participant should see their red unfinalized track and can click on it to retry the upload, like this:
If that doesn't work, for any reason, they can right-click on the track and select 'Recover Local Backup'. This will allow them to save the track to their Downloads folder so they can send it over to you.
In order for recovery to be successful, there are some things that must happen:
- Participant must be using the same computer & browser they were using at the time of recording
- They must NOT be using an incognito window
- They must NOT clear their browser's cache or cookies
Please make sure that they use the same computer and browser as was used to record as the backup is specifically saved to that browser and computer! 😄
If you would like further assistance with this, please reach out to us via our live chat or by emailing [email protected].