Zencastr is a modern web-based solution for high-quality audio and video podcast production. This guide is an overview of the key steps to record your podcast. To learn more, click the links within the steps for detailed explanations of related topics.
In this article:
Before You Start - Needed Hardware and Software
❗️ Both hosts and guests need to access Zencastr as described below for a smooth experience and high-quality final recording.
- Access Zencastr from a laptop or desktop computer that meets the minimum requirements. Tablets and mobile phones are not currently supported.
- Open Zencastr in a supported web browser, not in incognito or private mode.
- Check your internet speed to make sure your download and upload speeds are at least 5 Mbps, preferably 10 Mbps+.
- Use headphones while recording to prevent echo on the call.
- Use an external microphone instead of your computer’s internal microphone.
- Use an internal or external camera to view and record video.
- Connect a Dropbox or Google Drive account.
1. Creating an Episode
- Sign into your Zencastr account.
- From the Dashboard, click Create Episode.
- Type a name for your episode.
- Click Create and you are taken to your Recording Page.
2. Inviting Guests
- From the Recording Page, click Invite.
- Type the name and email address of each person (guest) you want to invite to the recording.
- Click Send Invites and an email will be sent to each guest with the link to the recording page and instructions.
Copy the invite link and send it to your guests in your own email.
3. Joining the Call
At the scheduled recording time, or a little before:
- Sign into Zencastr and go to the episode’s Recording Page. You may be asked to enable your audio in your web browser.
- Guests click the link they were sent and are taken to a green room to confirm their name and audio and video settings.
- As people enter the Recording Page, their names appear in individual user tracks below the video preview tiles.
4. Checking Settings
Once everyone has joined:
- Check that everyone can hear and see each other.
- Check that you and your guests have your preferred headphones, microphones, and cameras selected.
To change any audio or video settings, in the Recording Page:
- You click Settings.
- Guests each click Settings.
📝 If you and/or your guests do not want to use video, you can each turn off your cameras using the buttons on the user tracks.
5. Starting the Recording
- Click Start Recording. A 3-second countdown appears and then the recording starts.
📝 Once the recording is started, you can click the Pause button if you need to give instructions to guests, if someone needs to step away for a moment, etc. When everyone is ready to start recording again, click Start Recording.
6. Ending the Recording
- Click Stop to stop the recording.
- You and each guest keep the Recording Page open until you each see a “Success” popup or dialog.
- After the Success popup displays for each guest, they can individually close the Recording Page on their computers or you click Hang Up Call to end the call for all guests.
⚠️ If anyone closes the Zencastr tab, their web browser, and/or their computer before seeing the Success popup, it risks interrupting their files uploading and your ability to download their files.
7. Downloading Audio and Video Files
- On the Recording Page, in each user track you see an MP3 button and a MOV button (and also a WAV button if you are a pro user).
- Click a button and a popup displays the file(s) of that type.
- Click the file you want in the popup and it downloads to your computer.
- Repeat for each user’s files.
- Download your files from your connected Dropbox or Google Drive account.
After Recording - What’s Next?
- Enhance your files using Zencastr’s automatic postproduction or use another editing software.
- Submit your final file(s) to a podcast hosting provider.